Building #151 is the oldest of the nine historic coal sheds on the Mare Island waterfront, and is now the home of our Coal Shed Brewery. In the late 1800s the coal sheds were used to store coal that powered Navy steamships. Black as coal, and good for the soul. Shovel with honor.
the history behind the name
Built in the late 1890s, the coal sheds along the Mare Island waterfront originally stored coal to power Navy steamships.
A steamship gets loaded with coal from the coal sheds in 1908.
Beginning renovations on Shed #151 in 2016, now the home of our Coal Shed Brewery.